Due to Blogger Format Changes

Due to Blogger Format Changes, Posts Will Be Shortened With LINKS to ORIGINAL NO MORE ANONYMOUS COMMENTS: they will be deleted. YOU MUST USE A NAME OR MONIKER!

29 June 2015

Dangerous Volcanoes in the Pacific Northwest and all of America

Yellowstone, this is the volcano that I thought was the most dangerous in the States, and think about it when we read about all the volcanoes erupting all over the world. However, there are two more. No there are many more in the Pacific Northwest!

Mt S. Helens and Mt Rainier, and the group of volcanoes that form the Cascade Range.

"Mount St. Helens is 34 miles (55 km) west of Mount Adams, in the western part of the Cascade Range. These "sister and brother" volcanic mountains are approximately 50 miles (80 km) from Mount Rainier, the highest of Cascade volcanoes. Mount Hood, the nearest major volcanic peak in Oregon, is 60 miles (100 km) southeast of Mount St. Helens." Also, ""Mount St. Helens is an active stratovolcano located in Skamania County, Washington, in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. It is 96 miles south of Seattle, Washington, and 50 miles northeast of Portland, Oregon."

"Mount Rainier (...) is the highest mountain of the Cascade Range of the Pacific Northwest, and the highest mountain in the state of Washington. It is a large active stratovolcano located 54 miles (87 km) southeast of Seattle. It is the most topographically prominent mountain in the contiguous United States and the Cascade Volcanic Arc, with a summit elevation of 14,411 ft (4,392 m). Mt. Rainier is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, and it is on the Decade Volcano list."

What Would Happen If Mt. Rainier Erupted? "Most people don’t even know what “lahars” are, but they can be exceedingly deadly. Just imagine a tsunami of super-heated mud that is hundreds of feet thick traveling at highway speeds. In fact, scientists believe that Mount Rainier is capable of producing massive lahars that could move at speeds of up to 50 miles per hour…" Read more here.

















List of currently OTHER active Volcanoes in the rest of the world.


America's 116 Volcanoes are :
Arizona = 7
Calif = 24
Colorado = 4
Idaho = 10
Miss. = 1
Missouri = 1
Nev = 5
NH = 2
NM = 10
OR = 43!
SD = 1
Tx = 1
Utah = 5
Vir = 2
Wash State =16 (Mt Rainier & Cascade Arc)
Wyoming +1 (Yellowstone)

2 comments:

yaak said...

I've been to Mt. Rainier a couple times. I didn't know it was volcanic.

DS said...

Neshama,

I answered you back on Dov's blog, but again he didn't post it. I wrote , which is true, that I had asked him to remove what he found offensive - there was one comment about Bar Kappara that he wanted to remove. I said, please do so, but post the rest. It was an important comment, but I don't keep my comments, and to rewrite it all is just too much.

I think from now on I will restart articles on my blog and hold discussions there. Will let you know when I am ready to begin. This way I am not beholden to somebody else's likes and dislikes!

He had also failed to post something else I had written a few days ago. This way it makes me look disjointed, so to speak, and I find that irritating.

I guess time to go back to my own turf!

Nice staying in touch with you anyway. I have lots to talk about, am going to Kever David about twice a week now, and am having amazing encounters, experiences, etc. I feel I have found a treasure, shalal rav!

Kol Tuv

DS

Reb Ginsbourg – Tsav: The challenge of a depleted pocket

  The word "tsav" is found only concerning the Korban Tamid. Why? Rav Baruch Halevi Epstein  notes that our Parasha opens with the...